Well it ain't a f#### good morning in this house folks!
James has been up SCREAMING the house down since 6am this morning. WHY? Why you ask! Because James has SENSORY PROCESSING DISORDER!
SPD Is FUN! Lots and Lots of FUN!
Its now 8am and James is still SCREAMING AT ME! Why? Why you ask because he has SENSORY PROCESSING DISORDER!
SPD is a chronic neurological disorder that disrupts everyday life. Behavioral issues arise as a result of neurological sensory overload. James has to learn and partake in DAILY sensory therapy to help teach him to self regulate. You have 8 senses in your body. James' get crossed and don't function properly. This condition is real, very real!!!
Its hard for James and its hard for US!
This is what puts James on the Autism Spectrum. Sensory Processing Disorder is not classed as a stand alone disorder here in Australia. It is put on the HUGE spectrum of disorders along with OCD, ADD an ADHD.
Why am I telling you this??? Because today is DAY 1 of National SENSORY AWARENESS MONTH!
You need to be aware of this condition. Especially is you have anything to do with James.
Lets be really RAW now and give you some examples of what goes on in our lives... YOU can read all the publications in the world but you won't ever know what its like unless you LIVE IT! Believe me I READ, I RESEARCH and I F#### LIVE IT! SO.......
1. James won't EAT food.
2. James has incredible meltdowns that can last 2 hours.
3. James can't handle certain fabrics or tags
4. James is NOT toilet trained because he doesn't yet have control of his TACTILE sense and your gastro tract is a TACTILE sense.
5. James doesn't like high pitched screeching voices in his face
6. We have to warn James about everything (HE CAN NOT BE SURPRISED)
7. We can't got to functions because of NOISE, crowds and unfamiliar faces. YES HE IS FINE when there. When he gets home he is in horrendous overload!!!
8. James has to do daily activities to regulate his sensory system.
9. James controls his environment at home in order to not go into overload. This includes telling us where to sit. When we can go to the toilet. He turns lights on an off as he see's fit and sometimes I can't vacuum for a week and sometimes he wants me to vacuum 5 times a day!
10. He has verbal dyspraxia.
11. His sensory system is slower than ours so he has Auditory processing delay
The list goes on and on. SPD is hard. Hard for James and hard for all of us! Someday's our souls are BEAT! This morning our souls are BEAT!
James has a huge team of therapists and specialists. Immunologist, gastroenterologist, paediatrician, ENT, Dietitian, Natropath, Chiropractor, Occupational Therapist, Speech Therapist.
Its full on ALL the times. Between sensory regulating exercises, therapist visits, specialist appointments, meltdowns and LIFE!
Maybe this will bring a little more understanding and awareness to all of you that read this BLOG.
I used to say to people that the 'hardest battles are given to the strongest soldiers'.....
James is a SOLDIER and so AM I!